Pumpkin Seed Toffee Recipe
My kids have food allergies, including tree nuts and peanuts. But they can eat pumpkin seeds so every fall we save the seeds from our pumpkins to add to various recipes including this one.—Suzanne Earl, Vernal, Utah
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + cooling YIELD:16 servings
- 2 teaspoons plus 2 cups butter, softened, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup roasted pumpkin seeds or pepitas
- 1. Grease a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan with 2 teaspoons butter; set aside. In a heavy saucepan, melt the remaining butter. Stir in the sugar, corn syrup, pie spice and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage).
- 2. Remove from the heat; stir in pumpkin seeds. Immediately pour into prepared pan. Let stand at room temperature until cool, about 1 hour. Break into bite-size pieces. Store in an airtight container at room temperature. Yield: 2 pounds.
2 ounces equals 380 calories, 29 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 284 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC