Pumpkin Seed Flat Breads Recipe
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup salted pumpkin seeds or pepitas
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the butter, cornmeal, sugar, chili powder, salt and 1-1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each half into a 14-in. oval. Combine egg and water; brush over dough. Using a pastry wheel, cut each oval into 12 wedges or strips. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and kosher salt. Separate wedges and place on greased baking sheets.
- 4. Bake at 400° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (12 wedges each).
1 slice: 108 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 158mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1 starch, 1/2 fat
Reviews for Pumpkin Seed Flat Breads
"Other than the time I took to roast the seeds (we live too far from town to go buy them!) it was fast and easy. Lovely color and mine looked almost as good as the picture!"