Pumpkin Seed Flat Breads Recipe
Here's a seasonal addition to your harvesttime feast. From its pretty orange color to the irresistible crunch of toasted pumpkin seeds, this flat bread is pleasing to the eye and taste buds. Using sunflower kernels instead of pumpkin seeds is a yummy change.—Terry Braswell, Peachtree City, Georgia
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup salted pumpkin seeds or pepitas
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the butter, cornmeal, sugar, chili powder, salt and 1-1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each half into a 14-in. oval. Combine egg and water; brush over dough. Using a pastry wheel, cut each oval into 12 wedges or strips. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and kosher salt. Separate wedges and place on greased baking sheets.
- 4. Bake at 400° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (12 wedges each).
1 slice equals 108 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 158 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Pumpkin Seed Flat Breads
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC