- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup salted pumpkin seeds or pepitas
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the butter, cornmeal, sugar, chili powder, salt and 1-1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each half into a 14-in. oval. Combine egg and water; brush over dough. Using a pastry wheel, cut each oval into 12 wedges or strips. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and kosher salt. Separate wedges and place on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 400° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (12 wedges each).
Originally published as Pumpkin Seed Flat Breads in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p127
Reviews for Pumpkin Seed Flat Breads
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 17, 2011
Reviewed Nov. 11, 2010
"Other than the time I took to roast the seeds (we live too far from town to go buy them!) it was fast and easy. Lovely color and mine looked almost as good as the picture!"