Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes Recipe
- 1-3/4 cups mashed cooked or canned pumpkin
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- CINNAMON-CLOVE BUTTERCREAM:
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the pumpkin, sugars, applesauce, oil, eggs and egg whites until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cloves; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture until blended.
- 2. Fill foil-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat butter and shortening until fluffy. Add the confectioners’ sugar, cinnamon and cloves; beat until smooth. Spread over cupcakes; sprinkle with walnuts. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 cupcake: 229 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 212mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein
Reviews for Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes
"These cupcakes are really good. The recipe makes 24 cupcakes but I made only 12. They turned out pretty big and I baked them for 10 minutes longer. For the buttercream icing I had to add some milk, which is not in the recipe, to get it the right consistency. I topped mine with mini chocolate chips instead of walnuts."
"Wonderful, but double the frosting."
"These are fantastic! The only thing I would do is double the frosting recipe..I like more than a thin layer of frosting! Can't wait to share them."
"These cupcakes were delicious! They were so moist and flavorful. I have a pumpkin obsession around this time of year and would definitely make these again. The only issue that I had was that the cupcake stuck to the liner when trying to eat them-minor issue."
"Very delicious! I had minor problems with the frosting, too. I added a bit more milk and super whipped it. Everyone loved them, and I will have to try the layer cake that another reviewer made."
"Amazing! I made a two-layer cake and doubled the frosting. I sprinkled the top of the cake with chopped pecans."
"I also had to add some milk to the frosting. The baking time was also off by 10 minutes. I had to bake them about 30 minutes. Other than that, they are very moist and delicious."
"Indeed, milk added to the icing is a must. But I was surprised at the excellent pairing of icing and cupcake, and at how moist they were!"
"Easy to make and tasted delicious! A hit at my office thanksgiving lunch."
"I made these for school and got rave reviews from the teachers. I did have some issues with the frosting too. I never got it to be as creamy as I was expecting. I added a little water which helped a little but the frosting was hard to get to stick to the cupcake. It kept sticking to the knife and coming back up. Still tasted good."
"This was actually one of the most delicious pumpkin cupcake recipes I've ever made. The only problem was with the frosting ingredients. When mixed as the directions state, there's nothing to hold the powdery substance together. Anytime I've made icing like this, I've always added milk so that's what I did until I got the consistency necessary. Without the milk, it's just dried crumbly powdered sugar even with the butter and shortening. Otherwise, it was simply amazing!"