Pumpkin-Pecan Spice Cake Recipe
I'm a wife and mother of eight children. I like baking more than cooking, so I enjoy dressing up a spice cake mix with nuts, canned pumpkin and a homemade cream cheese frosting to create this fabulous dessert. —Joyce Platfoot, Wapakoneta, Ohio
- 2 cups crushed vanilla wafers (about 60 wafers)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 package spice cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping
- Pecan halves
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the wafers, pecans and butter until crumbly. Press into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- 2. For cake, in another large bowl, beat the cake mix, pumpkin, eggs and butter; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on high for 2 minutes. Spread over crust in each pan.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. For filling, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- 5. Thinly spread filling between layers (crumb side down) and on the sides of cake. Spread caramel topping over top of cake, allowing some to drip down the sides. Garnish with pecan halves. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 16-20 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 485 calories, 29 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 102 mg cholesterol, 466 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC