- 2 cups crushed vanilla wafers (about 60 wafers)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 package spice cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping
- Pecan halves
- In a large bowl, combine the wafers, pecans and butter until crumbly. Press into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- For cake, in another large bowl, beat the cake mix, pumpkin, eggs and butter; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on high for 2 minutes. Spread over crust in each pan.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Thinly spread filling between layers (crumb side down) and on the sides of cake. Spread caramel topping over top of cake, allowing some to drip down the sides. Garnish with pecan halves. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Reviews for Pumpkin-Pecan Spice Cake
"I LOVED this cake!! A few things: I would make a bit more of the crumb mixture as it was difficult to coat all of the pans with said amount. (about 1/2 more). I lined my pans with parchment paper and baking spray, it worked great!!! I would double the amount of cream cheese frosting, this amount is very small to spread over an already crumbly surface! I WILL make this again!!!!!!"
"this cake is not for the dieter...the frosting is just wonderful with the dense, moistness of the pumpkin cake. the cookie pecan crumble adds lots of texture and interest to this cake."
"this cake is awesome. I have been making it for over a decade and everyone loves it who has ever tasted it. It is a little more work but it looks very nice when you get it put together and is delicious."
"Won't make again"
"This cake is fantastic! my daughters boyfriend doesn't like cake but he loved this cake. It went so fast I only got one piece. This I will make again and again.Thank you!!!"
"This is such a moist and delicious cake....you won't be disappointed!!!"
"This cake is super moist and has so much flavor, always a hit during the holidays!!"
"This cake is so moist and delicious. Guaranteed to be a hit at any holiday gathering!"
"My customers loved this elaborate looking cake. It was tasty and moist, just wonderful!!"