I made this cake roll one Thanksgiving as a tasty change of pace from traditional pumpkin pie. The moist spice cake and creamy filling have made this dessert a family favorite for many functions. —Iva Combs, Medford, Oregon
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- Confectioners' sugar
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs for 3 minutes. Gradually add sugar; beat for 2 minutes or until mixture becomes thick and lemon-colored. Beat in pumpkin and lemon juice. Combine dry ingredients; fold into pumpkin mixture. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan; sprinkle with pecans.
- Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in towel, jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, combine the filing ingredients; beat until smooth. Unroll cake; spread filling over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again; place seam side down on a serving platter. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Pumpkin-Pecan Cake Roll in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2001, p149
Reviews for Pumpkin-Pecan Cake Roll
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review