- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 drops green food coloring
- 1 drop yellow food coloring
- Candy pumpkins
- Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper. In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin, sugars, eggs and oil until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt; gradually add to pumpkin mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely. Carefully remove waxed paper.
- For frosting, in a large heavy saucepan over low heat, combine the syrup, egg whites and cream of tartar. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating until frosting reaches 160°, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Beat on high speed until frosting forms stiff peaks, about 7 minutes. Remove 1/4 cup frosting to a small bowl; tint with green and yellow food coloring and set aside.
- Cut cake widthwise into thirds. Place one layer on a serving plate; spread with a third of the frosting. Repeat layers. Arrange pumpkins on cake; add vines with the green frosting. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Pumpkin Patch Torte
Sort By :
You should freeze the cake and use cream cheese frosting.
Frustrating...could not get the egg white mixture to have stiff peaks. Could be the weather (?) or that I didn't have a candy thermometer. Made it a cake in a 9 x 13 dish. More trouble to make than it was worth.
The cake had great flavor but I didn't love the maple frosting.
I'm going to try making this recipe, but I'll do it the way my Mom would have made it: like a jelly roll. Since it's nice and thin, I'm going to spread the frosting on the cake without cutting it into pieces. Then just roll it up! Hopefully it will work :)
This cake had a very nice taste and was moist. I followed the directions and took it to a picnic 5 minutes away and by the time I arrived it had slid apart and was a mess and impossible to straighten. I wish I had read the reviews before I made it. The icing was very good and worth the time it took to make it. I might make it again but not in layers but one layer in a 9x13 pan.