- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 drops green food coloring
- 1 drop yellow food coloring
- Candy pumpkins
- Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper. In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin, sugars, eggs and oil until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt; gradually add to pumpkin mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely. Carefully remove waxed paper.
- For frosting, in a large heavy saucepan over low heat, combine the syrup, egg whites and cream of tartar. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating until frosting reaches 160°, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Beat on high speed until frosting forms stiff peaks, about 7 minutes. Remove 1/4 cup frosting to a small bowl; tint with green and yellow food coloring and set aside.
- Cut cake widthwise into thirds. Place one layer on a serving plate; spread with a third of the frosting. Repeat layers. Arrange pumpkins on cake; add vines with the green frosting. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Pumpkin Patch Torte
Sort By :
"I made this for the Halloween dessert contest at work and my co-workers loved it, received "Tastiest" dessert award."
"My family totally loved this cake. I took pictures of my daughter and I through out the process and we had so much fun all the way through the last bite. It turned out looking just like the picture and we have only had 1 pumpkin slide off the top otherwise we had peaks and valleys for 2 days. It's definitely more than 12 servings we actually got about 28 out of it as we shared with friends and we are a family of 6 and had some 2 days in a row. Thank you Taste of Home Test Kitchen. This is a winner according to my family."
"You should freeze the cake and use cream cheese frosting."
"Frustrating...could not get the egg white mixture to have stiff peaks. Could be the weather (?) or that I didn't have a candy thermometer. Made it a cake in a 9 x 13 dish. More trouble to make than it was worth."
"The cake had great flavor but I didn't love the maple frosting."