Pumpkin Patch Pie Recipe
If you'd like to make pumpkin pie from a fresh pumpkin, here's and easy recipe that eliminates the guesswork. Use a pie pumpkin for maximum flavor.—Jane Van Deusen, Oneonta, New York
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1 hour 55 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1 medium pie pumpkin (about 3 pounds)
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup milk
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1. Wash pumpkin; cut a 6-in. circle around stem. Remove top and set aside. Remove loose fibers and seeds from the inside and discard or save seeds for toasting. In a small bowl, combine 1/3 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and salt; sprinkle around inside of pumpkin.
- 2. Replace the top. Place in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours or until very tender. Cool.
- 3. Scoop out pumpkin; puree in a blender until smooth. Place 2 cups pureed pumpkin in a large bowl. Add the ginger, nutmeg and the remaining sugar and cinnamon. Stir in the eggs, evaporated milk and milk.
- 4. Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate. Flute edges or decorate with pastry leaves. Pour filling into crust.
- 5. Cover edges with foil. Bake at 375° for 75-80 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC