- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- 1-2/3 cups whole milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Chocolate chips or raisins, optional
- In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, wheat germ, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. In a small bowl, whisk milk, egg, pumpkin and oil; stir into dry ingredients just moistened.
- Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot greased griddle; turn when bubbles form on top of pancakes. Cook until second side is golden brown. Decorate with chocolate chips and raisins if desired. Yield: 10-12 pancakes.
Reviews for Pumpkin Pancakes
"I think the amount of flour is low, these pancakes did not cook well. I had to throw out the batch and mixed the rest of the batter with a regular bisquick batter and then the pancakes were very good."
"Great way to get my kids to eat healthier! I did use a little more milk so the pancakes didn't turn out too thick."
"Added 1/4 c sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Sprinkled with chocolate chips before flipping. Didn't have any wheat germ, turned out fine without it."
"Delicious & hearty but I doubled the milk to make them easier to cook & not quite so heavy. I also used ground flax instead of wheat germ."
"The kids loved them! They are very thick, mine didn't quite look like the picture. Definately cook on a lower temp to make sure the inside is cooked through."
"I made one substitution - ground flax seed for the wheat germ - but I don't think that was the cause of the bland flavor. I suspect that more cinnamon and some allspice would help give them that essence of pumpkin pie I was hoping for. I also found them very difficult to cook through despite a reduction of heat and extended time on the griddle."
"My twelve year old son and I loved these pancakes! They were so tasty. I omitted the wheat germ since I do not like it. I also found that unlike regular pancakes it works better to cook these on a lower temperature so that the middle has a chance to cook completely. This recipe made it to the rotation!"
"These were great. We topped with whipped cream cheese and a light drizzle of syrup. I'll keep this in mind for when I need to use pumpkin (and sneak in some veggies!)"