- HOT CIDER SYRUP
- 3/4 cup apple cider or juice
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- In a large saucepan, combine the syrup ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until slightly thickened. Let stand for 30 minutes before serving.
- For pancakes, in a large bowl,combine the dry ingredients In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks, milk, pumpkin and oil until smooth. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. In a small bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form; fold into batter.
- Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot greased griddle. Turn when bubbles form on top of pancakes. Cook until second side is golden brown. Serve with syrup. Yield: 15 pancakes (1 cup syrup).
Reviews for Pumpkin Pancakes with Sweet Apple Cider Syrup
"We love pancakes and our house so I had to give this a try. The pancakes or super moist. The taste was delicious. I did not make this syrup and used maple syrup instead."
"I have been making these from taste of home for years! We love them. They are my kids favorite. They are moist and tender and delicious. I don't usually make the syrup though. They are just fine with maple syrup."
"I've always used table ready butternut type squash in this recipe, which is makes really yummy pancakes. Once I tried it with plain pumpkin and was sorely disappointed in the flavor."
"My family and friends loved these pancakes. I doubled the recipe and made them for brunch. I made them on the griddle. They came together very easily. I added nutmeg and ground ginger to add extra spice. My family said they tasted like pumpkin pie and stood out over the eggs Benedict that was meant to be the star of the show! I took other reviewers advice and decided not to make the syrup. I served with a choice of reduced fat log cabin syrup or a dusting of powdered sugar. Both toppings were great."
"This is a combined rating because I would give the pancakes but the syrup wasn't that great so I would give it 4 or maybe 3, 3 1/2? ;) I will be making the pancakes again and again and again! We prefer them with maple syrup but I may try them with cool whip next time... I am thinking it will be like the breakfast version of pumpkin pie!"
"It was good. I don't think the syrup set up right for me though. I did use light corn syrup"
"I love that these pancakes got so fluffy! I would decrease the sugar in the apple cider syrup a little bit though."
"I did not care for the apple cider syrup, it was way too sweet, but we loved the pancakes and they were delicious with maple syrup."
"I added a little more cinnamon and cloves to my pancakes. Very good. The syrup was excellent."
"Phenomenal! Will definitely keep this recipe and make again and again!"