- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon. Stir
- in cider and orange juice until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and
- stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in pie filling and
- butter. Remove from the heat; set aside and keep warm.
- For pancakes, place oats in a food processor; cover and process until
- ground. Transfer to a large bowl; add the flour, brown sugar, baking
- powder, pie spice, cinnamon and salt. In another bowl, whisk the
- egg, milk, pumpkin, syrup and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just
- until moistened; fold in 1/2 cup pecans.
- Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot griddle; flatten with the back
- of a spoon. Turn when the undersides are browned; cook until the
- second sides are golden brown. Serve with compote and remaining
- pecans. Store leftover compote in the refrigerator.
- Yield: 14 pancakes (5 cups compote).
Editor’s Note: Leftover compote may be served with hot cereal or vanilla ice cream. It’s also a tasty condiment for pork chops.
Nutritional Facts: 2 pancakes with 1/3 cup compote and about 1 tablespoon pecans equals 493 calories, 21 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 265 mg sodium, 71 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 9 g protein.