Pumpkin Orange Cake Recipe
"This moist make-ahead spice cake with its flavorful orange frosting is popular at family gatherings," shares Shirley Glaab of Hattiesburg, Mississippi. "It's simple to prepare and it tastes so good, everyone asks for the recipe."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- ORANGE FROSTING:
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- Candied orange peel, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In another bowl, beat pumpkin, orange juice, milk and orange peel. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with pumpkin mixture, beating well after each addition. Fold in nuts.
- 2. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat butter and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Beat in the milk, orange juice and peel. Frost cake. Garnish with candied peel if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 445 calories, 17 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 395 mg sodium, 70 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC