This is an outstanding dessert for special fall gatherings. The smooth pumpkin puree pairs well with the crunchy puff pastry.
10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min. + chilling
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups milk
- 8 egg yolks, beaten
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Stir in milk
- until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened
- and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from
- the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return
- all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook
- and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the pumpkin, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger
- and nutmeg. Transfer to a bowl. Press plastic wrap onto surface of
- custard. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until cool.