Pumpkin Knot Rolls Recipe
These rolls are the lightest, most delicious ones I've ever tasted...and everyone else seems to agree. The pumpkin gives them mild flavor, moist texture and a pretty golden color. At our house, it wouldn't be the holidays without them. —Dianna Shimizu Issaquah, Washington
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min. YIELD:24 servings
- 2 packages (1.4 ounces each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Sesame or poppy seeds, optional
- 1. In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the butter, sugar, pumpkin, 2 eggs, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 2. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape each portion into 12 balls. Roll each ball into a 10-in. rope; tie into a knot and tuck ends under. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat water and remaining egg. Brush over rolls. Sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds if desired. Bake at 350° for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 165 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 188 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC