- 2 packages (1.4 ounces each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Sesame or poppy seeds, optional
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the butter, sugar, pumpkin, 2 eggs, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape each portion into 12 balls. Roll each ball into a 10-in. rope; tie into a knot and tuck ends under. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat water and remaining egg. Brush over rolls. Sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds if desired. Bake at 350° for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Pumpkin Knot Rolls
"Made 1/2 the recipe with just one egg turned out realy well"
"Delicious! I made these for the first time today; I let my mixer do the kneading. Looking forward to taking these to holiday gatherings."
"These are lovely, fantastic with soup. Can't wait till autumn to make again!Made dough in the bread machine, then shaped, proved and baked."
"what size of can of pumpkin it doesn't say"
"My number one bread for Thanksgiving. Everyone always loves these rolls and the color with the pumpkin is scrumptous!!"