- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 beef top round steak (1-1/2 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 cups cubed peeled pie pumpkin or sweet potatoes
- 3 small red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup cubed acorn squash
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown beef in batches; remove with a slotted spoon to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the pumpkin, potatoes, squash and onion. Stir in the broth, tomatoes and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove bay leaves. In a small bowl, mix water and flour until smooth; gradually stir into stew. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until liquid is thickened. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Pumpkin Harvest Beef Stew
Sort By :
I made this as listed the first time and my husband and I both loved it. I make it at least 1-2 times a month with a combination of different ingredients including turnips instead of red potatoes. It has become a go to stew.
This was delicious! I opted to keep it a clear broth and nixed the flour/water thickening agent, and it was still very tasty.
This is an excellent stew. I made it in a cast iron dutch oven and doubled the recipe for Sunday night dinner with extended family. I used sweet potatoes and substituted carrots for the acorn squash. I added cornbread to the menu along with a salad. I didn't think I would like all the spices, but the blend was perfect.
This stew was good. I made it pretty much as indicated, though with a bit more meat and no bay leaves or cloves (don't have them). I liked it just fine, but am giving it 4 stars because my husband didn't like it, which is also why I won't be making it again.
This is the perfect Autumn dinner! It's hearty, delicious, and it smells wonderful while it's cooking! The stew is great for a dinner party, or just for a weeknight meal.
More Recipe Collections
- Acorn Squash Recipes >
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Beef Stew Recipes >
- Beef Stews >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Stew Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Stew Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Stew Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Pumpkin Recipes >
- Pumpkin Stew Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Beef Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew >
- Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Steak >