Pumpkin Harvest Beef Stew Recipe
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 beef top round steak (1-1/2 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 cups cubed peeled pie pumpkin or sweet potatoes
- 3 small red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup cubed acorn squash
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown beef in batches; remove with a slotted spoon to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the pumpkin, potatoes, squash and onion. Stir in the broth, tomatoes and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- 2. Remove bay leaves. In a small bowl, mix water and flour until smooth; gradually stir into stew. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until liquid is thickened. Yield: 6 servings.
1-2/3 cups equals 258 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 67 mg cholesterol, 479 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 29 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.