Pumpkin Gingerbread with Hard Sauce Recipe
Cakes are a terrific dessert to take to potlucks because they travel well and feed a lot of people. The slightly sweet hard sauce can also be served with quick breads and scones.—Iola Egle, Bella Vista, Arkansas
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup shredded peeled apple
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in pumpkin and molasses. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, salt and pie spice; add to the creamed mixture. Beat just until combined. Fold in apple.
- 2. Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioner's sugar.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat the butter, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Serve with gingerbread. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 595 calories, 25 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 131 mg cholesterol, 447 mg sodium, 89 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC