Pumpkin Gingerbread with Caramel Sauce Recipe
Instead of making ordinary gingerbread, I like to rely on this dressed-up version. The pumpkin gingerbread features a nutty crust and delicious caramel sauce.—Mitzi Sentiff, Annapolis, Maryland
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min. YIELD:9 servings
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 9 pecan halves, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Combine the egg, buttermilk, pumpkin and molasses; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in chopped pecans.
- 2. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 3. For sauce, melt butter in a small saucepan. Stir in the brown sugar and corn syrup; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook until sugar is dissolved, about 1 minute. Stir in cream. Return to a boil; remove from the heat. Serve with warm gingerbread. Top with pecan halves if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 681 calories, 37 g fat (19 g saturated fat), 106 mg cholesterol, 512 mg sodium, 85 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC