Pumpkin Gingerbread with Caramel Sauce Recipe
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 9 pecan halves, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Combine the egg, buttermilk, pumpkin and molasses; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in chopped pecans.
- 2. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 3. For sauce, melt butter in a small saucepan. Stir in the brown sugar and corn syrup; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook until sugar is dissolved, about 1 minute. Stir in cream. Return to a boil; remove from the heat. Serve with warm gingerbread. Top with pecan halves if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
1 cups: 681 calories, 37g fat (19g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 512mg sodium, 85g carbohydrate (57g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Pumpkin Gingerbread with Caramel Sauce
"I may be dense, but I do not see any crust on this cake. In the author's note she says "the gingerbread features a nutty crust" and in the picture I have in my files there is clearly a crust layer on the bottom of the gingerbread. So how does this miracle occur?"