- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 9 pecan halves, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Combine the egg, buttermilk, pumpkin and molasses; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in chopped pecans.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- For sauce, melt butter in a small saucepan. Stir in the brown sugar and corn syrup; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook until sugar is dissolved, about 1 minute. Stir in cream. Return to a boil; remove from the heat. Serve with warm gingerbread. Top with pecan halves if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews forPumpkin Gingerbread with Caramel Sauce
"I may be dense, but I do not see any crust on this cake. In the author's note she says "the gingerbread features a nutty crust" and in the picture I have in my files there is clearly a crust layer on the bottom of the gingerbread. So how does this miracle occur?"