Pumpkin and ginger are so compatible that to use them in one recipe makes this quick bread doubly delicious. This is my favorite bread during the holiday season because these old-fashioned flavors evoke warm memories of times past.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and baking soda. Add the pumpkin, molasses, egg, butter and milk. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds, then on high for 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining flour; beat on high for 2 minutes. Pour into two greased 4-1/2-in. x 2-1/2-in. x 1-1/2-in. loaf pans. (There will be a small amount of dough in each pan.) Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 2 mini loaves.
Originally published as Pumpkin Gingerbread in Reminisce November/December 1994, p53
Reviews for Pumpkin Gingerbread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review