Pumpkin-Ginger bread Recipe
Instead of making ordinary gingerbread, I like to rely on this dressed-up version. The pumpkin gingerbread features a nutty crust and delicious caramel sauce.—Mitzi Sentiff, Annapolis, Maryland
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Combine the egg, buttermilk, pumpkin and molasses; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in pecans.
- 2. Pour into a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 3. For sauce, melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in the brown sugar and corn syrup; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook until sugar is dissolved, about 1 minute. Stir in cream. Return to a boil; remove from the heat. Serve with warm gingerbread. Yield: 1 loaf(6 servings)with 3/4 cup sauce.
1 piece with 2 tablespoons sauce equals 516 calories, 27 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 96 mg cholesterol, 327 mg sodium, 66 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC