Pumpkin Flans Recipe
This silky, smooth dessert captures the essence and elegance of fall. I came up with the recipe myself, aiming to make something both luscious and light.—Charles Insler, Cincinnati, Ohio
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. Bake: 30 min. + chilling YIELD:6 servings
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free evaporated milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, cloves and ginger
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional ground cinnamon, optional
- 1. In a small heavy skillet over medium-low heat, combine 1/3 cup sugar and water. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar begins to melt. Cook without stirring until amber, about 20 minutes. Quickly pour into six ungreased 6-oz. ramekins or custard cups, tilting to coat bottom of dishes. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- 2. In a small saucepan, heat milk until bubbles form around sides of saucepan. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, egg white, salt, spices and remaining sugar. Remove milk from the heat; stir a small amount of hot milk into egg mixture. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Stir in pumpkin and vanilla. Slowly pour into prepared ramekins.
- 3. Place in a baking pan; add 3/4 in. of boiling water to pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 30-35 minutes or until centers are just set (mixture will jiggle). Remove ramekins from water bath; cool for 10 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- 4. Carefully, run a knife around edge of pans to loosen; invert each dish onto a rimmed serving dish. Sprinkle with additional cinnamon if desired. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 233 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 108 mg cholesterol, 218 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC