- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups bread flour
- EGG WASH:
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine pumpkin, egg, brown sugar, butter, pie spice, salt, yeast mixture and 1 cup flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Roll each into a 16-in. rope. Place ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid. Pinch ends to seal; tuck under.
- Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- For egg wash, in a small bowl, whisk egg and water until blended; brush over loaf. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
Reviews for Pumpkin Egg Braid
"Love the idea of including raisins. Wonderful taste. It was a bit dry the first day and definitely dry by the next day. Wonder if adding more pumpkin would remedy this???"
"The bread is a little dryer than I expected with the pumpkin. It does have a wonderful aroma that permeates through the entire house."
"Made this yesterday and it was wonderful. The aroma was so enticing could hardly wait for the bread to cool down enough to be able to slice it. Once the slicing began it continued until it was all gone. Family loved it. Today made two more loaves, one with raisins. Both were terrific! Thanks for sharing."