- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup lemon-lime soda
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Additional sugar
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, sugar and shortening until blended. Beat in pumpkin, vinegar and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk together flour, milk powder, baking powder, salt and spices. Add to egg mixture alternately with soda, beating after each addition.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop teaspoonfuls of batter, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 1 minute per side. Drain on paper towels. Roll in additional sugar while warm. Yield: about 7 dozen.
Reviews for Pumpkin Doughnut Drops
"I was looking for pumpkin recipes and came across this gem!! Wow are these wonderful! We added a bit of cinnamon to the sugar befor rolling them in if!!"
"OMG!! Took this recipe to school to share. Everyone Loved it. Will make this again and again. Pat"
"I thought the lemon-lime soda was an unusal ingredient for doughnuts & had leftover pumpkin so I gave these a try. We all liked them. They are light. The doughnut drops are good without sugar."