- mixture is thickened and reaches 160°. Remove from the heat.
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for
- 1 minute. Heat over low heat, stirring until gelatin is completely
- dissolved. Stir into pumpkin mixture; set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine reserved egg whites and remaining
- sugar. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute.
- Continue beating over low heat until mixture reaches 160°, about
- 12 minutes. Remove from the heat; beat until stiff glossy peaks form
- and sugar is dissolved.
- Fold into pumpkin mixture; spread evenly over cream cheese layer.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or until set. Garnish with whipped
- topping and nutmeg if desired.
- Yield: 15 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 bar (calculated without whipped topping) equals 284 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 104 mg cholesterol, 257 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.