We think this a moist and yummy bread. It is full of nuts and is topped with a pretty caramel-colored glaze. The flavors remind me of autumn.—Wendy Rusch, New Richmond, Wisconsin
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (8 ounces) pitted dates, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- CARAMEL GLAZE:
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, pumpkin, oil, water and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in dates and pecans.
- Transfer to two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- For glaze, in a small heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, sugar, butter and cream. Cook and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Increase heat to medium. Do not stir. Cook for 3-6 minutes or until bubbles form in center and syrup turns amber brown. Remove from the heat; transfer to a small bowl. Cool to room temperature. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. Drizzle over loaves. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Originally published as Pumpkin Date Nut Bread in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2012, p58
Reviews for Pumpkin Date Nut Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review