This is truly a dish that combines international flavors with homespun comfort. The sweet curry aroma alone will warm hearts on gray-sky days. —Aysha Schurman, Ammon, Idaho
- 2 cups uncooked jasmine rice
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 teaspoons curry powder, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup apple butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/3 cup chopped cashews, toasted
- Minced fresh parsley
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle chicken with 1 teaspoon curry powder and pepper. In a large skillet, saute chicken in oil for 5-6 minutes or until no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the pumpkin, broth, raisins, apple butter, five-spice powder and remaining curry powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until heated through.
- Stir cashews into cooked rice and serve with chicken mixture. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Pumpkin-Curry Chicken Over Cashew Rice in Simple & Delicious October/November 2011, p59
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Pumpkin-Curry Chicken Over Cashew Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review