- 2 cups uncooked jasmine rice
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 teaspoons curry powder, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup apple butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/3 cup chopped cashews, toasted
- Minced fresh parsley
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle chicken with 1 teaspoon curry powder and pepper. In a large skillet, saute chicken in oil for 5-6 minutes or until no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the pumpkin, broth, raisins, apple butter, five-spice powder and remaining curry powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until heated through.
- Stir cashews into cooked rice and serve with chicken mixture. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 5 servings.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Pumpkin-Curry Chicken Over Cashew Rice
"I added half of and onion (sliced) and two stalks of celery (sliced) for some veggies and halved the raisins due to personal preference. I also used home-made apple butter. None of these choices affected how I rated the recipe though...We have had our fair share of curries from all parts of Asia and this was definitely over-spiced. If I were to make it again, I would reduce the black pepper by half and quarter the 5-spice. I used a madras curry powder blend (it's yellow) and I think 4 tsp of that was too much as well. The spices might temper out with the addition of a can of coconut milk, but by the time I thought of it, dinner was already over. You really want to make all the rice called for; specifically with the spice-heavy content of this."
"First of all, it looks really gross on your plate! :) I guess I shouldn't have tried this plate because I don't think my husband and I are really fans of indian/thai food. The flavor wasn't really bad, but I don't like the chinese 5 spice powder and we just couldn't stomach this recipe. I think it was a combination of the looks and texture. I ended up throwing out the leftovers and we couldn't even finish our rice!"
"This was so good!! I attempted to make it just as recipe said but missed the applebutter so I sliced up apple and added it instead. I did add more broth as I wanted a little more sauce to go with the rice. Yum, my husband loved it. I have tried other recipes with pumpkin and always surprised how good they are! Thanks"
"I've made a lot of curry dishes and this is one of the best! All the flavors combined perfectly."
"We made this using home-made apple butter and it was delicious! The diverse ingredients in this recipe combine to create an authentic Indian flavor that ranks up there with the best curry recipes we have tasted since being in India."
"While this wasn't quite up to dishes we enjoyed at our favorite (and now closed) Thai restaurant, this dish certainly pleased my husband. The long list of ingredients produced a dish with a deep, rich flavor. I will be making this again!"