Pumpkin-Cranberry Cake Doughnuts Recipe
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- SPICED SUGAR:
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- 2. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, baking soda, ginger, cloves and nutmeg. Combine pumpkin and buttermilk. Add flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beating well after each addition. Stir in cranberries. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter. Reroll scraps.
- 4. In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. In a shallow bowl, combine the sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg; roll warm doughnuts in mixture. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 doughnut equals 217 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 240 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Pumpkin-Cranberry Cake Doughnuts
"I baked these these donuts in my wilton donut pan. I reduced the sugar content to 3/4 of a cup. I also used half whole wheat pastry flour to add some whole grain and fiber. To decrease the saturated fat I used canola oil instead of butter. They are indeed very festive and remind me of the holiday."
"I used dried Cranberries. But awesome recipe"