Pumpkin-Cranberry Cake Doughnuts Recipe
Pumpkin and cranberry really say holiday in these moist, spiced-filled doughnuts. They are so good…try not to eat them all in one sitting. —Carolyn Cope, Allston, Maryland
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- SPICED SUGAR:
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Dash ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, baking soda, ginger, cloves and nutmeg. Combine pumpkin and buttermilk. Add flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beating well after each addition. Stir in cranberries. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter. Reroll scraps.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. In a shallow bowl, combine the sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg; roll warm doughnuts in mixture. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Pumpkin-Cranberry Cake Doughnuts in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2011, p134
Reviews for Pumpkin-Cranberry Cake Doughnuts(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review