Pumpkin Cookies with Penuche Frosting Recipe
Packed with the flavors of Christmases past, these pumpkin drop cookies with caramel frosting are simply scrumptious and as much a part of our holiday as mistletoe and carols! They are a great way to use our home-canned pumpkin.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, pumpkin and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in pecans.
- 2. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake 9-11 minutes or until edges are light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, in a small saucepan, bring brown sugar and butter to a boil. Cook and stir over medium heat 1 minute. Remove from heat; cool 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl; beat in milk. Gradually beat in enough confectioners' sugar to achieve spreading consistency. Frost cookies. Yield: about 7 dozen.
1 cookie equals 69 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 56 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC