Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe
"When I was trying to modify my mom's pumpkin bread recipe to cut down on the fat and cholesterol, I came up with these moist sweet muffins," explains Kathy Fannoun of Brooklyn Park, Minnesota. "My kids love them...and they get a healthy dose of vitamin A from the pumpkin without even knowing it!"
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:24 servings
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1. In a bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. In another bowl, combine egg, egg substitute, pumpkin, applesauce and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in chocolate chips.
- 2. Coat muffin cups with cooking spray; fill two-thirds full with batter. Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 dozen.
One muffin equals 193 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 242 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC