Pumpkin Cake Roll Recipe
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, beat eggs on high for 5 minutes. Gradually beat in sugar until thick and lemon-colored. Add pumpkin and lemon juice. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; fold into the pumpkin mixture.
- 2. Grease a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan and line with waxed paper. Grease and flour the paper. Spread batter into pan; sprinkle with walnuts. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- 3. Immediately turn out onto a clean dish towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Peel off paper and roll cake up in towel, starting with a short end. Cool.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, butter and vanilla until fluffy. Carefully unroll the cake. Spread filling over cake to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up again. Cover and chill until serving. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 slice: 332 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 249mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein
Reviews for Pumpkin Cake Roll
"This is a great recipe. Mastering the roll takes time and patience, even if it doesn't look the greatest it will get eaten. I use the 8oz. bricks of cream cheese since that is what I find on sale around the holidays. My family would rather have this than the pumpkin pie. I usually make 2, one for the walnut lovers and one with out."
"My family loves this, especially my dad! I didn't make it one year at Thanksgiving and everybody said "Where's the pumpkin cake roll???""
"This was my first try on a pumpkin roll. My friend used to make them and it looked complicating to me so I never made it for myself, but I'm glad I stepped out of my comfort zone and tried it. We loved it so my family will be eating this at Thanksgiving as well"
"This has a very mild pumpkin taste. If one likes more pumpkin flavor, this cake isn't the one. This is also, very easy to make."
"I found this quick and easy for a cake roll and also very tasty."
"There are several Pumpkin Roll recipes out there. After my mother and I made these we've never searched for another one. They can be tricky to make but if you master them you'll make them a holiday staple. This is more of a dense cake; it?s not so much light and airy as it is decadent. My mom and I make ours without nuts on top but if you're looking for something to create a more diverse texture make 2 one with and one without. You can never have enough roll! I've easily made over 50 of these bad boys so here are a couple tips. When it comes to rolling these, use an old pillowcase instead of a dish towel of cheese cloth. The linen is finer and comes away from the cake much easier. When you roll them the first time right out of the oven, make sure you're rolling it as if the icing is in there. The first couple inches are the hardest. If you?re using a pillow case roll the end of the pillow case up tight until you get to the end of the cake and continue loosely, sort of like a spacer for the very inside. You don't want a super tight roll because it will make the cake crack and you won't have a lot of room for error when you add the icing later. As far as the icing goes, it?s hard to mess up a cream cheese icing. It goes great with everything! My family does the 6 ounces of cream cheese but experiment with the thickness and adding additional flavors. I?m going to try a little flavored syrup in mine next time. For those living on the edge try using your favorite dark rum as an extra treat! Be careful not to get it too thin or you'll have icing everywhere :) cut the log partially frozen for more precise spiraling and use a hot knife. Wiping off the knife each time will properly show off just how hard you worked to get these delicious rolls made from scratch!"
"This has become a family tradition"
"Yummy if you like pumpkin rolls, although I think I would add about 1/2 the icing. Both my husband and I prefer less icing."
"This was great! It split a little on top but not to bad. This was my first time making a roll. I will master it with no splits lol"
"Love, Love, Love this recipe. I have been making this for many years and it is still very much requested."
"My husband LOVES this! When he sees the canned pumpkin in the stores, he starts asking. It's a wonderful recipe!"
"I'm going to be making this for years to come. I'm a cream cheese fan and I used a whole 8 ounce package instead of 6 ounces and it was amazing. I had trouble keeping my brother out of it. Haha!"
"This is the best Pumpkin roll recipe I have ever had the family just loves it! I have used it since 1999!!"
"These look delicious! I have a question...a gal from my work used to sell these around Christmas time and I bought a lot from her for my family.Have also tried other folks Pumpkin rolls that are more cake like in texture. Our favorite are the rolls which are more dense, less light and airy. Which category do these fall in?Thanks!"