- 1 package (14-1/2 ounces) gingerbread cake mix
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 egg
- 4 cups cold fat-free milk
- 4 packages (1 ounce each) sugar-free instant butterscotch pudding mix
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground ginger, nutmeg and allspice
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water and egg, beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into an ungreased 8-in. square baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. When completely cooled, crumble the cake. Set aside 1/4 cup crumbs for garnish.
- In a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mixes for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in pumpkin and spices until well blended.
- In a trifle bowl or 3-1/2-qt. glass serving bowl, layer a fourth of the cake crumbs, half of the pumpkin mixture, a fourth of the cake crumbs and half of the whipped topping. Repeat layers. Garnish with reserved cake crumbs. Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving. Yield: 18 servings.
Reviews for Pumpkin-Butterscotch Gingerbread Trifle
Sort By :
"I have made this several times and each time I never have left overs! I love how it is a fresh take on the pumpkin flavor. :-)"
"This was a great crowd-pleaser. It looks so nice before you dig into it! Flavors go well together. The fat-free versions of pudding are in the smaller sizes. As others said, use two boxes of the regular size pudding and you'll be fine."
"I have made this many times and have asked for the recipe every time I make it. I have read a person can't find the gingerbread mix, just saying I have seen it at Walmart. As for the problem of pudding box size...I just used 2 small boxes of vanilla pudding and 1 small box of the butterscotch."
"this trifle ricipe sounds really good so ill be trying it out very shortly"
"I want to make this but where does one find instant pudding in 1 ounce sizes. Mine are3.4 ounces. I have all the ingredients ready to make this for Christmas dessert and will give it a good review but am nervous about the pudding amounts. Please help! Thanks!"