In our town, we have a pumpkin festival in late October and use pumpkins many different ways. This is a popular recipe for "sandwich night" at our house.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) chili sauce
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 to 8 hamburger buns, split
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat
- is no longer pink; drain. Add the chili sauce, soup, pumpkin, salt,
- pumpkin pie spice and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover
- and simmer for 1 hour or until thickened. Serve on buns. Yield: 6-8
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 300 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 1,333 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 19 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.