Pumpkin Bisque with Smoked Gouda Recipe
- 4 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (29 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded Gouda cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Additional shredded Gouda cheese, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Saute onion in drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Stir in the broth, pumpkin, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Cool slightly.
- 3. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to pan. Stir in cream; heat through. Add cheese; stir until melted. Sprinkle each serving with parsley, bacon and, if desired, additional cheese. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
1 cup: 214 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 970mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Pumpkin Bisque with Smoked Gouda
"Next time I'm using half the cream and more cheese. Also, I'll try adding extra garlic!!"
"I thought this was really good, but I did omit the bacon and substituted olive oil for the bacon grease. The subtle smokiness of smoked Gouda really complemented the pumpkin flavor."
"This has been past of our Thanksgiving tradition for 3 years now. The family loves it!"
"I too added a little something as there was not quite enough flavor. 1/4 tsp pumpkin spice. It was great."
"I wish I'd had the smoked gouda. That's the only reason I gave this 4 stars. I had gorgonzola and liquid smoke. It's just not the same but still rich and creamy!"
"Delicious! I was looking for a "snooty soup" to bring to a party. It was a huge hit. Several asked for the recipe. I followed it pretty closely."
"It had too much of a pumpkin flavor for me. I added more chicken broth and liked it better."
"I didn't have bacon, so I substituted sage flavored sausage instead. This was excellent!"
"Made this for Thanksgiving. Used Grocery store Smoked processed Gouda the only available where we were in Maine. Made again using a local Boston cheese shop Gouda. Invest in good smoked Gouda, well worth it. Served with apples as garnish."
"amazing! I used 2 15 oz. cans of pumpkin puree because i didn't have hard-packed pumpkin. I also threw in an extra cup of gouda :) YUM!"
"I added more bacon flavoring. Everyone loved it."
"easy & OMG Delicious!!!!"
"Excellent soup, wonderful flavor. A meal in itself."
"Yummmmmm! This soup has excellent flavor - love the Gouda!!"
"easy and tasty!"
"I made 1/2 the recipe and used laughing cow cheese instead of Gouda. I really like this soup. My husband is not as adventurous and said it was okay but only tasted it. My neighbors gave it a B+. It's easy to make. This is the first time I have made pumpkin soup. It is very filling. Half the receipe fed three people with a serving leftover. I would make this maybe once a year."
"This soup exceeded my expectations. It was really delicious. The flavor was really good, and how can you go wrong with bacon and smoked gouda. I made it a second time last night for a recipe exchange group (the theme was soups), and lots of the girls said how good it was. I definitely recommend this."
"this is so yummy, I had to find a gluten free soup for a friend of mine and this one is delicious. I can't wait to see if she likes it as much as I did."
"I can't get enough of this wonderful dish. I've shared it with co-workers and yes, i ahd to give them a copy of your recipe. :~)"
"Loved it!! Followed recipe exactly, except I didn't add salt. It did need "something" when finished, so I added season salt. Incredible flavor, so yummy!!"
"This soup is fantastic! I used a kabocha squash in lieu of the canned pumpkin, but otherwise followed the recipe to a "t." Even my 2-year old loved it! I would make this over and over and over!"