I love the smell of this rich, cheesy soup as it bubbles on the stove. The Gouda cheese adds a delightful smokiness that just says autumn to me.—Kerry Dingwall, Ponte Vedra, Florida
- 4 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (29 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded Gouda cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Additional shredded Gouda cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Saute onion in drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the broth, pumpkin, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to pan. Stir in cream; heat through. Add cheese; stir until melted. Sprinkle each serving with parsley, bacon and, if desired, additional cheese. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Originally published as Pumpkin Bisque with Smoked Gouda in Taste of Home November 2011, p89
Reviews for Pumpkin Bisque with Smoked Gouda
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review