Pumpkin Bars with Browned Butter Frosting Recipe
I based this recipe on one my grandmother used to make—so sweet memories are baked into every bar. When making the frosting, carefully watch the butter and remove it from the heat as soon as it starts to brown. Do not use margarine.—Mary Wilhelm, Sparta, Wisconsin
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup butter, cubed
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 to 6 tablespoons 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. In a large bowl, beat the first six ingredients until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, pie spice, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- In a small heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Heat 5-7 minutes or until golden brown, stirring constantly. Transfer to a large bowl. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and enough milk to reach desired consistency. Spread over bars; let stand until set. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Pumpkin Bars with Browned Butter Frosting in Country Woman October/November 2013, p38
Reviews for Pumpkin Bars with Browned Butter Frosting
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review