Pumpkin Bars with Browned Butter Frosting Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup butter, cubed
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 4 to 6 tablespoons 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. In a large bowl, beat the first six ingredients until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, pie spice, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- In a small heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Heat 5-7 minutes or until golden brown, stirring constantly. Transfer to a large bowl. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and enough milk to reach desired consistency. Spread over bars; let stand until set. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Pumpkin Bars with Browned Butter Frosting
Sort By :
"Moist and delish! Made these for a bake sale and they were a hit - sold out. Real salted butter gave the frosting a salted caramel flavor. I sprinkled the top with nutmeg before serving."
"I didn't have the correct size pan so I made in a 13 x 9 which made it more like cake. Awesome tasting and very moist! I used some leftover homemade cream cheese frosting which only added to the taste instead of being too sweet like one reviewer stated. Family wanted to eat the whole pan, but I like to get two times from a dessert, so I had to restrain them."
"The cake turned out moist and delicious, however, the frosting was way too sweet and rich, which overpowered the flavor of the cake. I definitely agree with one of the posters, cream cheese frosting would be perfect on it!"
"These are really moist pumpkin bars and the brown butter icing is really delicious, although the sweet icing overwhelmed the pumpkin taste. All in all it is an easy and tasty treat . I think next time I'll try plain without the icing and maybe add some chopped pecans. I also used a 9x13 pan and left out the Orange peel because I didn't have any on hand."
"Also good with cream cheese frosting! Tastes like Fall."