- Bake at 375° for 12-14 minutes or until cake springs back when
- lightly touched. Immediate run a knife around the edge of the pan;
- invert onto prepared kitchen towel. Gently peel off waxed paper;
- cool completely.
- Place cake on an ungreased freezer-to-oven-safe platter or foil-lined
- baking sheet. Unmold ice cream onto cake; remove plastic wrap.
- Return to freezer.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the egg whites, cream of tartar and
- remaining sugar and water; beat on low speed with a portable mixer
- for 1 minute. Continue beating over low heat until mixture reaches
- 160°, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add extract; beat
- until stiff peaks form, about 4 minutes.
- Spread meringue over frozen ice cream and cake, sealing meringue to
- the platter; sprinkle with almonds. Freeze until ready to serve, up
- to 24 hours.
- Just before serving, broil on lowest oven rack position for 3-5
- minutes or until meringue is light browned. Serve immediately.
- Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 225 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 110 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 5 g protein.