Pumpkin Baked Alaska Recipe
For years, I was a flop at making pumpkin pies. So I pulled out this recipe, which I got at a cooking class. It's been a success ever since. —Linda Sanner, Portage, Wisconsin
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons plus 5 teaspoon water, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 2 tablespoon sliced almonds, toasted
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the ice cream and pumpkin pie spice. Transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. bowl lined with plastic wrap; freeze until set.
- 2. Line a greased 9-in. round baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside. Place a clean kitchen towel over a wire rack; dust towel with confectioners' sugar; set aside.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat eggs, 1/2 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons water and vanilla until thick and lemon-colored. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; fold into egg mixture. Pour into prepared pan.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 12-14 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediate run a knife around the edge of the pan; invert onto prepared kitchen towel. Gently peel off waxed paper; cool completely.
- 5. Place cake on an ungreased freezer-to-oven-safe platter or foil-lined baking sheet. Unmold ice cream onto cake; remove plastic wrap. Return to freezer.
- 6. In a heavy saucepan, combine the egg whites, cream of tartar and remaining sugar and water; beat on low speed with a portable mixer for 1 minute. Continue beating over low heat until mixture reaches 160°, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add extract; beat until stiff peaks form, about 4 minutes.
- 7. Spread meringue over frozen ice cream and cake, sealing meringue to the platter; sprinkle with almonds. Freeze until ready to serve, up to 24 hours.
- 8. Just before serving, broil on lowest oven rack position for 3-5 minutes or until meringue is light browned. Serve immediately. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 225 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 110 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Pumpkin Baked Alaska
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC