Pumpkin Angel Food Cake Recipe
Here's an easy way to jazz up an angel food cake mix using canned pumpkin, nutmeg and other spices. I like to serve pieces with a dollop of whipped topping and a sprinkling of cinnamon. —Pamela Overton of Charleston, Illinois
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling YIELD:14 servings
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 14 tablespoons reduced-fat whipped topping
- Additional ground cinnamon, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Fold a fourth of the batter into pumpkin mixture; gently fold in the remaining batter. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets.
- 2. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 38-44 minutes or until top is golden brown and cake springs back when lightly touched and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- 3. Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Garnish each slice with 1 tablespoon whipped topping; sprinkle with cinnamon if desired. Yield: 14 servings.
1 slice equals 151 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 264 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC