Pumpkin Angel Cake Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about 10)
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- Confectioners' sugar
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift the flour, 1 cup sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg together twice; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar, vanilla and salt on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time. Fold in pumpkin.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Remove to a serving plate. Sprinkle top of cake with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Pumpkin Angel Cake in Country Woman November/December 2004, p31
Reviews for Pumpkin Angel Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review