Pumpkin and Plantain Mash Recipe
- 1 medium pie pumpkin, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 1 ripe plantain, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 12 shallots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1. Place the pumpkin, plantain and garlic in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook shallots in oil until tender. Add the wine, brown sugar, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper and chili powder; cook and stir for 6-8 minutes or until shallots are golden brown.
- 3. Squeeze softened garlic into a large saucepan; add broth and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; add pumpkin and plantain. Mash with butter and remaining salt and pepper. Top with shallots. Yield: 6 servings.
2/3 cup pumpkin mixture with 1/4 cup shallots equals 216 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 355 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Reviews for Pumpkin and Plantain Mash
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.