Pumpkin and Plantain Mash Recipe
Beautiful and simple to prepare, this flavorful pumpkin-and-plantain mash is perfectly flavored with roasted garlic and caramelized shallots.Donna Noel, Gray, Maine
- 1 medium pie pumpkin, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 1 ripe plantain, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 12 shallots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Place the pumpkin, plantain and garlic in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook shallots in oil until tender. Add the wine, brown sugar, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper and chili powder; cook and stir for 6-8 minutes or until shallots are golden brown.
- Squeeze softened garlic into a large saucepan; add broth and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; add pumpkin and plantain. Mash with butter and remaining salt and pepper. Top with shallots. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Pumpkin and Plantain Mash in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p241
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Pumpkin and Plantain Mash(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Baking Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Side Dishes >
- Halloween Party Recipes >
- Halloween Recipes >
- Halloween Side Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >