Pumpkin & Sausage Penne Recipe
- 3/4 cup uncooked penne pasta
- 2 Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links links, casings removed
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh sage, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon each salt, pepper and ground cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons shredded Romano cheese
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 1 teaspoon.
- 2. Cook and stir onion and garlic in oil and reserved drippings over medium-high heat until tender. Add wine and bay leaf. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in the broth, pumpkin, 1-1/2 teaspoons sage and remaining seasonings; cook 1 minute longer. Add the cream and sausage; heat through. Remove bay leaf.
- 3. Drain pasta; transfer to a large bowl. Add sausage mixture; toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese and remaining sage. Yield: 2 servings.
1-1/3 cups (prepared with reduced-sodium broth) equals 490 calories, 23 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 950 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.