Pumpernickel Turkey Hero
Thousand Island dressing lends flavor to each bite of this hearty turkey and Swiss sandwich. "A friend brought this loaf to a sandwich luncheon," recalls Mildred Sherrer of Bay City, Texas. "I asked for the recipe so I could serve it to my family. They liked it, too."
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced pumpernickel bread
- 1/3 cup Thousand Island salad dressing
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 3 slices red onion, separated into rings
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 package (12 ounces) thinly sliced deli turkey
- Cut bread in half horizontally; spread salad dressing over cut sides.
- On the bottom half, layer the lettuce, tomatoes, onion, half of the
- cheese and half of the turkey. Top with remaining cheese and turkey.
- Replace bread top. Cut into wedges. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 401 calories, 15 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 1,378 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 22 g protein.