Pumpernickel Turkey Hero Recipe
Thousand Island dressing lends flavor to each bite of this hearty turkey and Swiss sandwich. "A friend brought this loaf to a sandwich luncheon," recalls Mildred Sherrer of Bay City, Texas. "I asked for the recipe so I could serve it to my family. They liked it, too."
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced pumpernickel bread
- 1/3 cup Thousand Island salad dressing
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 3 slices red onion, separated into rings
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 package (12 ounces) thinly sliced deli turkey
- 1. Cut bread in half horizontally; spread salad dressing over cut sides. On the bottom half, layer the lettuce, tomatoes, onion, half of the cheese and half of the turkey. Top with remaining cheese and turkey. Replace bread top. Cut into wedges. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 401 calories, 15 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 1,378 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 22 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC