- 3/4 cup rye flour
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1/2 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, combine the egg, buttermilk, oil, molasses and chocolate. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cherries.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the muffin comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 6 muffins.
Originally published as Pumpernickel Muffins in Reminisce Extra September 2009, p53
Reviews for Pumpernickel Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 30, 2010
"Didn't really taste like pumpernickel to me, but they were the most delicious brown molasses muffins! Wonderful taste & texture!"