Pumpernickel Caraway Bread
This rich, dark bread has an old-fashioned homemade taste that's oh-so-satisfying. Made with molasses and caraway seeds, it's moist and flavorful. My family prefers slices of it slathered with apple butter or cream cheese.
-Lorraine Darocha, Berkshire, Massachusetts
16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 3-4 hours
- 3/4 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup bread flour
- 2/3 cup rye flour
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 5 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by
- manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and
- loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions
- (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of
- water or flour if needed). Yield: 1 loaf (1 pound).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 78 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 162 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.