Pumpernickel Caraway Bread Recipe
- 3/4 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup bread flour
- 2/3 cup rye flour
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 5 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). Yield: 1 loaf (1 pound).
Reviews for Pumpernickel Caraway Bread
Sort By :
"I made this just as recipe stated. It did seem moist so I added 4-6 more TBSPs of flour and baked it a little longer. Texture and flavor was fabulous (it smells of chocolate when baking but doesn't taste it or coffee). It is a small loaf but I found it rose to top of loaf pan. EXCELLENT recipe!"
"Sorry I deleted my post as I misread the recipe. It only has 2 C flour + 2 T cornmeal so I will follow said recipe as written. Making it now. I usually make a larger loaf but will do this small loaf and then tweak it to better suit my bread machine."
"This bread has great flavor and texture. It's a small loaf, but slices well and was perfect for corned beef sandwiches. When I checked dough after 5 minutes mixing in the bread machine, it was just right. Didn't have to add flour or water.â€”Ann, Hartland WI"
"I've made this recipe twice now, and while it tasted pretty good, it did not rise well; I am not sure why."
"I am not fond of coffee and I didn't have instant coffee granules in the house so I made it without. It turned out very well. I did need to add quite a bit of extra flour as the dough was very moist."